Writing a pytest fixture was actually much easier to do than I expected.
I did find, however, that the documentation on custom pytest fixtures was not very applicable to my situation.
Having never used pytest fixtures—and being new to pytest—it was a bit of a struggle for me to really understand what was going on.
The most applicable examples that I looked at were pytest-selenium and pytest-base-url.
pytest-selenium and pytest-base-url
The main purpose of the pytest-selenium package is that it takes care of the setup and tear down processes for you.
selenium fixture essentially instantiates and return a
The fixture also closes the instance for you at the conclusion of your test function.
base_url is defined in a config file or passed in as a command line argument, pytest-selenium will use this value and load the page automatically at the execution of your test function.
Using pytest-selenium can simplify something like this:
from selenium import webdriver
driver = webdriver.Firefox()
assert "Python" in driver.title
assert "Python" in selenium.title
pytest-selenium has many more capabilities, and is a complex package, this seems to be the primary purpose, at least as I understand it.
pytest-axe is a pytest fixture similar to pytest-selenium, albeit it is extremely simple in comparison.
This package takes a selenium instance and instantiates an instance of the Axe class for you.
It also finds the
axe.min.js script in the
axe-selenium-python package, and Axe sets it as a class-level variable in its constructor.
I decided to create this fixture to make it easier for users to integrate my axe-selenium-python API into their test suites.
The easier it is to use, the more likely people are to use it.
To illustrate just how basic this package is, this code is the entire functionality of the plugin:
from axe_selenium_python import Axe
def axe(selenium, base_url):
"""Return an Axe instance based on context and options."""
I originally implemented this fixture by adding it to
conftest.py within the test files in my
Again, I was surprised at how easy it was to get this to work. It did take some fiddling around, but altogether, very little time was spent on this.
I moved this fixture into a package by itself, because I don't want users to have to manually add the fixture into their
At best, this would be quite annoying. More than likely, people just wouldn't use it.